Monday, April 18, 2011

Details, Details, Details - Wedding Planner Blog, Cont.

Like I promised...I have continued to try and blog on preparing for my sister's Big Day - May 21, 2011.  Colleen's theme is fun, artistic and somewhat like a princess as seen in pictures before.  First task that I was to complete was decorations for the church.  Hobby Lobby has been my best friend - I literally spend hours there every time I go (scary I know)! They alternate every other week their glass items 50% off, So I could purchase all the glass vases I needed for much cheaper - GREAT DEALS - but for the church colleen wanted some pink color down the center aisle.  I saw a picture of aisle decorations that I liked so I sent this to her because we had purchased this size pink paper lanterns for the reception!
Colleen said no too informal for the church - sooooo back to the drawing board.  I did some more research and found some ideas with daisies in them and then called her
She loved it! So I immediately starting researching about how much it would cost to make - The "flower balls" as I like to call them are actually pomanders.  I researched online and very quickly discovered how to make them.  Instructions say to use a gream floral foam ball and then stick the daisies inside.  I decided on 5" balls (which are never on sale at Hobby Lobby) but are only 3.99 per ball. When I practiced I needed 27 flowers (2 1/4 bouquets) which were 50% off 7.98.  So I figured that 6 balls would be plenty and would fit our price range.  When I made the first ball with the green floral foam ball I didn't love that the green would occasionally show through - So I found the PERFECT alternative option, a 5" topiary ball for the same price!  So heres How I made them
Supplies:
5" Topiary ball
30 flowers of your choice - hot pink daisies was my choice
Lots of hot glue
Ribbon - depending on how far you want it to hang - I used approx 2 feet per ball
  1. First de-stem all the flowers from their bunches - the tops of the flowers should come right off
  2. Take your precut ribbon and thread through the top of the topiary ball - tie a not and then pull the thred back through, so the knot is on the inside of the ball - NOW you are ready to glue
  3. Take the individual daisy and choose a spot near the base of the ribbon to glue to flower - you want to cover up the knot as much as possible - spread the hot glue in a circle around the base of the flower and press down in the spot for at least 30 seconds to get it holding tight.
  4. Then progress around the ball - gluing the flowers about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches away from one another - You want to not see the much of the vine inbetween - but its okay if you see a little.
  5. Keep gluing away - keeping up with the glue strings as you go, makes cleaning up easier later.
And here's the finished project! 1/2 lime green ribbon and 1/2 hot pink ribbon - They will add pop to the center aisle - we will be doing every other with the pomanders and then the other 1/2 with aisle candles



Inspired by my aisle daisy pomanders - I had an idea for the flower girls! In our church we are not allowed to use real flower petals on the carpet so I thought it would be SO cute If we made them larger daisy pomanders to hold and sprinked fake rose petals in a pattern on the floor.  This time I used a larger floral greenery ball - 7" and I had to use 3 bouquets (36 daisies) - I made the ribbon shorter and added bling.  With the floral greenery ball - you must have wire cutters to trim about 2in of the stem on with the daisies - It makes them stick into the ball better and doesn't require hot glue! I then glued rhinestones into the center of each flower- Here was the finished product for our sweet flower girls!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment